Saturday, January 26, 2008

Status: Not Dead

So I'm back after a lengthy hiatus. School started up in September and that occupied much of my time. As such, I lost site of many of my goals and the state of our finances. Upon reflection, I think that it was in keeping up with various blogs and posting here that really kept my eye on the prize in terms of making good financial choices. How did things derail you might ask? There were three main things of note:

1. Dining out. November, and December were terrible months for this. Mucho $$$ was spent on a Jr. bacon here, a quarter chicken dinner there which ended up totalling over $300 for the combined months. This money was spent needlessly as I need to be cooking more food at home. It should be interesting to look at things in a few days to see how January fared.

2. Christmas. Despite the fact that we had continuously saved each week for several months for presents, when it came time to buy stuff, we didn't pay attention to cost. The two have to go hand in hand. I honestly have no idea how much was spent on presents. My fiance has some idea as I found a sheet of the gifts she bought with their costs written down. This is a fabulous idea: jot things and the cost as you get them. I just wish she had of told me about it before I went out and bought stuff.

3. My lack of making a fundamental choice. I just don't think I'm quite there yet in making the root/default position in my life frugality. In fact I know I'm not and the reasons for this are still being worked out in my head.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've come to many of the same realizations, especially given my loss of employment and income. While I agree wholeheartedly with points 1 & 2, I'm not completely sold on the issue of the fundamental choice.

While I agree that you should always try to get a good deal, through any number of methods, I'm not prepared to base all of life's decisions on financial terms. I can fully understand the conditions that might require such a state of mind, but I never plan on being there.

Let's hope everything goes according to plan.

/that throwing stick of yours has boomeranged on us